A British court on Friday ruled that the construction of a new road tunnel near a prehistoric site was illegal. Stonehenge, In southwestern England, classified as The World Heritage of MankindThis interferes with the project.
The tunnel, which is about 3 km long, is a priority to reduce congestion on a major road axis connecting the eastern and western parts of the country and is estimated to cost 1. 1.6 billion (approximately R $ 11, 39 billion).
- The change of appearance in the port area removes Liverpool from the UNESCO World Heritage Site
- UNESCO says Venice could join the list of endangered World Heritage Sites if it does not abandon shipping
The plan was heavily criticized by the so-called Stonehenge Alliance, which unites various security associations. An expert panel opposes the tunnel, believing it will cause “permanent and irreversible damage” to the archeological site.
Stonehenge Stone Circle near Amesbury, Great Britain – Photo: A. Patten / English Tradition / Revelation by Reuters
Despite the controversy, the British government approved the plan in the second half of last year. Judge David Holgate ruled that the approval was illegal because it did not propose alternative solutions, as predicted by World Heritage Law.
“We are very happy with the outcome of this experiment,” said John Adams, director of the Stonehenge World Heritage Site (SSWHS).
Highways UK, which runs the project, said in a statement that it was “very disappointed with the decision” and that the Department of Transport was waiting to “explore its options”.
Stonehenge, built between 3,000 and 2,300 BC, is one of the most important megalithic monuments in the world for its size and architectural precision.
“Total creator. Devoted tv fanatic. Communicator. Evil pop culture buff. Social media advocate.”