On Friday, authorities said 12 people would stand trial in Paris for stealing jewelry worth $10 million (about 8.9 million euros) from US TV star Kim Kardashian West in 2016.
The reality show star said she was threatened at gunpoint and locked in a bathroom after armed robbers broke into her Paris rental apartment during Fashion Week.
Today, a judicial official said that after five years of investigation, investigative judges have ordered that the case be referred to trial, although no trial date has been set and no further details have been provided.
Kim Kardashian West’s French lawyer has yet to comment publicly on the matter.
Several suspects have been released while awaiting trial on health grounds, including 68-year-old Younes Abbas, one of five men accused of carrying out the same robbery, who published a book on the matter last year.
The alleged mentor, Omar Ait Khedach, wrote a letter of apology in his cell to Kim Kardashian West, saying that he regretted his actions and admitted that he realized the psychological damage he had caused.
At the time, a spokeswoman for Kardashian West said she was deeply shocked but that she was not physically hurt.
“Proud coffee junkie. Gamer. Hardcore introvert. Social media trailblazer.”