Each plane (considering those that landed and took off together) carried, on average, about 124 passengers (104 in December 2021) at Madeira Airport, while in Porto Santo this number did not exceed 53 (38 in the corresponding month).
In December 2022, both domestic and international passenger traffic at the region’s airports recorded positive year-on-year changes, with international traffic (+71.1%) growing more than domestic traffic (+52.9%). Compared to the same period before the pandemic (2019), domestic traffic grew by 41.7% and international traffic by 35.4%.
At Madeira Airport, international passenger traffic (51.8%) prevailed over domestic traffic (48.2% of the total). At Porto Santo Airport, there is a significant predominance of domestic traffic, with amounts exceeding three-quarters of all traffic (76.8% of the total).
In this reference month, scheduled flights at the region’s airports accounted for 92.8% of all aircraft handled and 94.5% of passengers (85.9% and 88.7% in the same period, respectively).
In December 2022, the average occupancy rate for aircraft handled at the region’s airports was approximately 70.5%, Madeira Airport at 70.9% and Porto Santo at 58.6%. In the same period last year, occupancy rates were lower, at 62.2%, 62.8%, and 48.0%, in the same order.
From January to December 2022, the number of passengers departing and disembarking at the airports of the region reached 4.1 million, which represents a historical maximum, half of which corresponds to traffic exclusively between airports located in the national territory, which includes domestic and domestic connections (49.4% of total number of passengers). total as a whole) and the other is international (50.6%). Within the latter, the UK was the main origin and destination country for international flights from airports in the region (36.1%), followed by Germany (22.9%) and France (8.0%).
“Writer. Analyst. Avid travel maven. Devoted twitter guru. Unapologetic pop culture expert. General zombie enthusiast.”